Saturday, February 9, 2013

What Do Students Say About Math To Other Teachers: A Humble Brag

Brag:
A fellow teacher came up to me this week and gave me a beautiful compliment. She retold a story of what a student had said about my math class. The student had mentioned that I challenged her into going beyond just the math question. "Taking it to the next level," and "Not just the same old questions." The student in question was one that I consider to have difficulties in my class, but I felt good that I've been able to give her the right challenge. I thanked my colleague for the great story. I walked a little taller that day, chest out, ego that much more inflated.

Humbled:
Another fellow teacher came up to me later that same week and presented the following anecdote. She retold a story of what another student had said about my math class. The student had mentioned that I didn't really challenge them and that I taught her nothing. "We just have to answer questions," and "He doesn't really help us." The student in question was one that I consider to have difficulties in my class, but I felt bad that I have not been able to engage her. I thanked my colleague for the feedback. I walked around a bit slower that day, slouched, ego that much more deflated.

But it's the second story that is going to drive me to make changes. Make the lesson better. Make the class better.

4 comments:

  1. This is so incredibly dear of you to share, Nico. If we're lucky, we should get a little dose of each. More importantly, know which one is which that humbles us, as you have, and get better. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Nico. It truly is a humbling profession. It's amazing that more than 10 years into your career, you're still working at being a "good" teacher!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Fawn and BigT. After more than 10 years, I realize one of the goals must be to try to be better than the last year. Or even the last month. Or last week for that matter. It's a goal. Whether I'm achieving that goal is still up for debate. I definitely get a lot of help from you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so unimaginably dear of you to impart, Nico. In case we're fortunate, we ought to get a little measurement of each. All the more critically, know which one is which that humbles us, as you have, and improve. it's all about your thinking and knowledge of a Fun Math Worksheets So thank you .

    ReplyDelete