Friday, October 19, 2012

Let the toothpicks fall where they may.

I wanted growing patterns.
Actually, I wanted patterns that grow by the same amount every time.
We might call these linear patterns. At least that's what I was hoping for.
And for the most part that's what I got.

See...



But then something like this happened:
And this:

Q: "Hey Mr. Rowinsky, we couldn't seem to find the algebraic expression for this one."

A: "Umm, ya, those aren't, ummm linear. They don't grow by the same amount. What you've discovered is a pattern that grows by an amount that grows. That's advanced."

Cheers

Q: "But do these have an algebra expression we can use?"

A: "Good question!" as I think to myself, 'not one that I know off-hand.'

Awkward smiles and blank stares

I rush to Wolfram Alpha to find the solution. And Wolfram Alpha came through.
See...


You can check it out here and here.

Some initial thoughts:
1) Sometimes students take it to the next level without any help
2) Sometimes I need help with the next level
3) We live in a world where we shouldn't fear 1 or 2.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I need help with the next level as well, but we definitely should not fear it. Awesome learning task!

    ReplyDelete